Embracing our sensitivity can make it a strength instead of a weakness
Up to 20% of the population are considered to be â€˜highly sensitive.â€™ High sensitivity isnâ€™t a psychological weakness, but is an innate traitâ€¦the brains of highly sensitive people are actually wired differently to others.
PsychologistÂ Elaine N. AronÂ coined the phrase theÂ Highly Sensitive Person, and has been researching sensitivity since 1991. She is a pioneer in the study of sensitivity and has written widely about it.
People across the globe are relating to her identification of this innate trait of sensitivity and her work has opened up hope for those who felt they didnâ€™t fit in to the world today, to feel valuable, unique and to accept themselves and their sensitivity. Elaine N Aronâ€™sÂ workÂ is revolutionary and visionary. It has created widespread acceptance and understanding of the positive and life-affirming traits of the Highly Sensitive Person, who feels things more deeply than others and are more sensitive to the environment.
So what is a Highly Sensitive Person?
Highly Sensitive PeopleÂ have nervous systems that are more sensitive than others and they process things more deeply. As a result, they pick up on more information from the environment than the majority of the population.
Highly sensitive people:
- Notice and are affected by smells, noises and bright lights (highly sensitive people often donâ€™t like the TV on in the background, or being around people with strong perfume)
- Pick up easily on the emotions of others
- Feel overwhelmed by busy days and long to do lists
- Prefer a meaningful one-on-one talk to speaking with large groups or making small talk
- Are strongly affected by caffeine,Â alcohol, drugs, medication andÂ herbs
- Enjoy their own company, in fact they need down time by themselves to recover from the busy-ness of the world
- Tend to burn out and develop chronic conditions like chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia
- Have a rich and deep inner life
- Were often described as â€˜sensitiveâ€™ as a child
- Appreciate creativity, art and music
- Get overwhelmed and overstimulated in shopping centers and supermarkets
- AreÂ intuitiveÂ andÂ empathetic
Read more HERE.